Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Operation Bike MS: Part Six

This post is part of a series documenting my journey toward the Gateway Getaway Bike MS. Read Part Five HERE. To learn more about Multiple Sclerosis and to support me as I reach my goal of $500, please click HERE.




Taper week is finally here--and with it shorter rides, glorious rest, and butterflies of anticipation. 

How will I respond to a sea of cyclists on the open road? 

Will my body actually be able to do this? 

Will my gears de-rail properly when climbing a death-trap hill? 

How many expletives will I hurl into the open air if they don't?

Regardless of how I hold up this weekend, it's good to know that my team--and all of the other riders and supporters of Bike MS--are making a huge difference. Not only does our participation raise awareness and financial support for this debilitating disease, but it also serves as a reminder that I am  a tiny component of a much bigger story. What little pain I experience along the way will be such a temporary blip in comparison to the struggle millions of people around the world face each day. 

So, as I ride, I will be meditating on these verses as I pray for myself and others who face all kinds of trials:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds,3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

And then, I'm sure I'll hurl a few more expletives. 

Better out than in, right?? 


And Now for the Training Update

I know you've been holding your breath waiting to read all about it. Really...it's okay to breathe now.

Coach Erin finally let me swim---yay!

She also told me to focus mainly on kicking--boo!

So last Tuesday morning--in the wee dark hours--I was a good little trainee and kicked (and kicked and kicked) until I couldn't kick anymore. When I was finished kicking and my legs were jelly, the sun finally decided to emerge.


Coach's next order was to do flat bike rides. 

Flat rides. 

In Columbia. 

Ha!

After I stopped laughing hysterically, I decided on the Katy trail and Stephen's Lake Park. However, just to GET to the Katy trail, I have to climb what I like to call "hospital hill" on Broadway. Those who live here will understand that one. 

And no, my gears did not de-rail properly and yes. I almost started to roll backward in the middle of the hill. 

But then I nailed the rest of it. 

Take that, hospital hill!

This was a pretty scene from Stephen's--a much tamer ride. 


My rides this week are to be super short--no more than 8 miles each--so on Tuesday I decided to take a new paved trail connecting my complex to a highway east of town, and happened upon these here flood waters. Luckily the water had receded from the trail--but the roaring rush was spectacular. 



I'm heading out tomorrow for my last ride before the Bike MS, and I'm more than a little sad. I've enjoyed training for this event (and previous events) so much that I will need to look for another amazing feat to conquer and a cause to support. 

Nothing beats pushing yourself to limits you never dreamed you'd have the strength to withstand---and I'm convinced I need a little bit of that in my life at all times. It keeps me humble, honest, and absolutely grateful. 

See you at the finish line!


No comments:

Post a Comment