Friday, January 3, 2014

Project Allergic: It's a Bird! It's a Plane! No, It's Scrambled Tofu!!

After an epic crafting fail tonight, I decided that my cut-and-paste misfortune was in actuality the universe nudging me to do something a little more productive with myself.

But then all I wanted to do was watch shallow teenage TV dramas on the internet and eat chocolate and barbeque chips. What IS it about The Carrie Diaries? Oh geez.

So....after jolting myself back to reality, writing was really the only other option. And since I have an apparent infatuation with food this evening, I thought a post on one of my newest concoctions was definitely appropriate.

I bring you.....Scrambled Tofu!

Ok, ok, before you heave on your lap, just wait for the explanation.

Many of you who are reading know for the past several years, for whatever reason, I haven't been able to eat gluten. Two years ago, when pursuing the issue further with an allergist, I discovered through some testing that I'm actually not allergic to wheat/gluten, but I AM allergic to dairy and eggs. Wonderful! So, in addition to my gluten intolerance (which I'm now assuming is merely a digestive issue), I was also faced with the challenge of avoiding three main staples of my regular diet--cheese, mayo, and butter. Super frown-y face.

After mourning the sharp downturn in my culinary life, I slowly began the process of figuring out what I could eat, and how to make it palatable at the very least. It has been a treacherous journey for my taste buds, but I'm finally finding some tasty alternatives to some old beloved favorites--like scrambled eggs, for instance.

I will caution you, however, that typing "scrambled tofu" into a Google search engine will bring up several recipes incorporating onions, vegetables, and various oils that I either can't afford or don't have room for in my tiny kitchen. For some of you, this may be the preferable option, but all I wanted to do was replicate the texture and taste of scrambled eggs as closely as possible. And so began the process of figuring it out for myself. Fun!

I am happy to say that several failed attempts and a willingness to choke down less-than-ideal results have finally paid off. The following is a method I personally enjoy---and I hope if you are allergic like me, or just plain adventurous, you will enjoy it as well. :)

Katie's Plain-Jane Scrambled Tofu

Ingredients:

*these measurements are very precise. Be sure to measure carefully...

One package of extra firm organic tofu (I find mine at Wal-Mart fairly cheap)
2-3 Tbsp. Olive Oil or preferred cooking oil
2 splashes GF Soy Sauce
A healthy pinch Nutritional Yeast (I found this in the bulk section at Hy-Vee)
a few shakes Dry Mustard
a dash Onion Powder
a dash Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Open tofu package and divide it into fourths with a kitchen knife.


2. Place one square of tofu on a clean kitchen towel, using it to wring out the extra water over the sink or a bowl. Leave it smooshed in the towel while you complete the next step.

 

3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.



4. Carefully crumble the squeezed-out tofu into the wet mixture--combine thoroughly and allow to soak for a few minutes.




5. In the meantime, pour a little of your preferred cooking oil/dairy free butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Let it warm until just before sizzles--any hotter and the tofu will stick to a stainless-steel pan, if you are using one.


6. Dump the entire mixture into the pan and stir constantly for about 3-4 min.

 
 
And here you have it--light and fluffy scrambled tofu that mostly satiates my need for the real deal. I like to pile mine on top of a toasted gluten-free waffle each morning before plopping myself in front of a Gilmore Girls re-run. It's my daily treat!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment